- Traditional Chinese Acupuncture Clinic219 N Upper St
Lexington, KY 40507859-913-5638
- • Seven Healthy Fall Habits •
- • 5 Ways to Stay Fit This Fall •
- • Improve Your Mental Health with Regular Meditation •
August 26th is International Dog Day!
All my patients are human….but did you know that dogs (cats and horses too) can get acupuncture? Here in Kentucky, like many states, it must be provided by a veterinarian.
You can do some acupressure massage on your fur baby using the same points as for humans. I did some acupressure on my friend’s 8-year old German Short-hair Pointer along his back once and from then on every time I came to visit, regardless of how long it had been, he would walk up to me, sit down with his back to me, and look over his shoulder as if to say, “I’m ready for my massage.”
Today is International Tiger Day! 🐅
And of course 2022 is the Year of the Tiger… Year of the Water Tiger to be exact, so I picked a photo of a tiger in water for the occasion. 😊 In honor of these great animals, here’s a few facts you might find interesting, starting with their most iconic feature: their stripes…
Chinese New Year is the most important holiday in China for good reason. Each new year brings new energies and opportunities. The celebration begins the day after the first new moon between January 21 and February 20 each year and lasts until the following full moon. These 2 weeks are a time of welcoming and aligning with the new energies. This year, the Chinese New Year falls on Feb 1st and festivities continue through Feb 15th, 2022. Each year has a corresponding element and animal of the Chinese zodiac.
This is the year of the water-tiger year that holds a lot of promise for an exciting, productive year. This indicates a new beginning, a fresh start, and it’s a year made for bold action. The Tiger is known for its power, daring, and ability to do everything on a grand scale.
This water-tiger year is in gear to be a faster-paced, more passionate year after a slower year of the Ox (2021) and a very challenging year of the Rat (2020). The tiger has been sleeping, awaiting his time for action. 2022 has great potential to be a year of change because of the energy of the tiger: brave, self-assured and ready to pounce. Individually we might be inspired to embark on new adventures, such as travel or moving, or starting a new business. Collectively, there may be an energetic shaking off of stagnation brought on by the past couple years of the pandemic. It will be a year of exploring new ideas, and not shying away from challenges. If energy is not allowed to flow (individually and/or collectively) there may be some restlessness or unpredictable behaviors. It is also important to balance the aggressive energy of the tiger with times of rest. Even tigers take cat naps. This is a water year, so the yin energy of the water can help to balance the fierce fiery nature of the tiger. continue reading
新年快乐! (Happy New Year!)
February 12, 2021 was celebrated as the start of the New Year in the Chinese lunar calendar, which will last until January 31, 2022.
This is the Year of the Metal Ox. So what does that mean?
- The Ox is the second animal in the 12-year cycle of the Chinese zodiac.
- People born year of the Ox are the present of gold wrapped in brown paper; they are the pillars of society — intelligent, solid and stable, honest, loyal, hardworking, outlasting everyone to get the job done. However, the Ox can be overly cautious, stubborn, and unyielding.
In the Chinese calendar there are 5 phases named after natural phenomena: Wood, Fire, Earth, Metal, and Water. These phases are used to categorize everything, not just years. It adds another layer of complexity to the traits of the different animals in the zodiac. This year is the Metal Ox. The Metal traits include being independent, authoritative, uncompromising possibly to the point of being stubborn, rigidity, and focused drive to achieve goals.
OK, I can hear the question, But wasn’t last year a Metal year? And we all know how 2020 turned out! Well a lot of Feng Shui specialists seem to agree that this Metal year will be tempered by the Earthly Ox and that is is a Yin Metal year — among the heavenly stems and earthly branches, the Ox is considered Yin Earth (Yi Chou 乙 丑’; the Rat is Yang Water, Jia Zi 甲 子). The characteristics associated with the Earth phase are nurturing, tolerance, cooperation, organization, and to a degree, passivity.
Famous Oxen — A lot of great actors, artists, musicians, athletes, writers, and innovators were born in an Ox year:
- Actors: Anthony Hopkins, Morgan Freeman, George Clooney, Robert Redford, Angela Lansbury, Marlene Dietrich, George Takei, Peter Cushing, Jessica Lange.
- Musicians & singers: B.B. King, Enya, Bruno Mars, Hank Williams Jr, Louis Armstrong, Sammy Davis Jr.
- Athletes: Simone Biles, Naomi Osaka, Mark Spitz,
- Artists & authors: Vincent vanGogh, Annie Liebovitz, Tang Dynasty poet Li Bai, Albert Camus.
- Innovators & scholars: aviator Charles Lindbergh, Walt Disney, paleo-anthropologist Mary Leakey, chemist and two-time Nobel Prize winner Linus Pauling
- Famous political figures and activists include Barack Obama, Princess Diana, Margaret Thatcher, Malala Yousafzai, Malcolm X, Robert F Kennedy, Colin Powell, Benjamin Netanyahu